Saturday, October 10, 2015

Dirty30 Race Report

This was one of my planned races for the season and to start to get my mountain legs working for the training I had coming up. This is an absolutely awesome race and you know it from the moment you sign up for it with tons of communication, year long social media presence and fun, and a great atmosphere.

A ton of people that I know we're also doing the race and I made plans with AJ, Chuck, and Barrett to head out together. We made our way out early enough that we were able to get one of the coveted parking spots at the start line. Any later and we would've had to take a shuttle in. We parked right next to Ben, so I made my way over for a chat as we got all our stuff together and made the requisite bathroom stops.  Then we made our way to the check in, got ready to go and met up with Chris at the start line. 

Chuck started 5 minutes before us with the fast guys. Nice Chuck!  Our gun went off and AJ, Barrett, Chris, and I started up the road. I had planned on sticking with Barrett and we chatted along the way for a bit. AJ started out nice and easy and I should have paid attention to that. Barrett started to pull away and I tried to keep him in sight. This race has a good amount of climbing in it and it felt like it kept going forever. I made it to, if I remember right, the second aid station and I stopped to refill my bottles with Tailwind. This is where Barrett pulled ahead on a big climb out of the station. I worked on keeping him in sight and headed out before I saw AJ or Chris come into the station. Again...I should've paid attention to that. 

On the way up the next climb, which was quite steep and rocky, I locked in behind this Scottish guy...or bloke should I say?  He really livened things up and I had a blast talking with him...when I could understand him. Haha. We made our way up and to the loop at the back part of the course. This is where we got to see the first of the elites and I made sure to say hi to Timmy Olson.  He looked solid. I made it to the aid station and turned around to climb back up where I just came from. This is where I saw AJ and Chris come in not far behind me. As I climbed back up a strong runner passed me and I tried to latch onto his progress. But he was too fast and pulled away. That's when AJ passed me like I was standing still. Remember when I said I should've paid attention? That's why. Like I was standing still. AJ is a very strong runner and I would expect him to pass me or stay ahead of me regardless, but I definitely started too fast. Nice work for AJ though and I stayed motivated and kept pushing on. I finally made it around to the last aid station before the dreaded Windy Peak climb. 


I got myself some cold Coke there. Coke is the one thing I love late in a race but it is never cold. And I gladly drink it hot. But it was COLD!!! Yes! I want to thank the volunteers for that....along with everything else!  My rocket fuel kicked in and I made my way down to start the climb. 

I saw Jeremy and Woody coming back up from the Windy Peak climb. Jeremy was doing the 12 miler and Woody was was doing the 50K and both of them were looking solid.  Jeremy told me the climb wasn't that bad and to just keep pushing.  Woody gave me some great encouragement and I pushed on up.  And kept pushing up...and more climbing up...this shot is where Kurt Hardester caught me climbing up Windy Peak maybe halfway up.  





After this shot, it climbs up and around the mountain and further up the backside of it.  Really rocky terrain as you get closer to the summit.  Once I hit the summit, I turned back around to make my way to the finish.  I remember finally getting into a groove and feeling like I was running well only to look down at my watch and see I was logging 11+ minute miles.  Go figure.

I had a goal of sub 7 hours on this one and didn't quite make it in.  I have dealt with Plantar Fasciitis for the past year and a half or so and it was really bothering me from about mile 12 on.  I sucked it up and ended up getting to the finish in 7:11:54.

Not bad and I was still quite happy with it.  It was exactly what I needed to build on for my 100 miler in September and I got what I wanted from it.

The post-race party was fantastic with food, and beer, and live music.  Again, this race is very well run and there is absolutely no question I will do it again.




Beer Goes Here




Official Results

Strava Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment